Iceland national team head coach Arnar Qunnlauqsson is quite satisfied with the squad he announced for the 2026 World Cup qualifying matches against the national teams of Azerbaijan and France.
Idman.biz, referring to Sportnet.az, reports that the 52-year-old expert said that he made a difficult choice.
"It was just awful. My selection opportunities are getting more and more difficult. How many players are showing themselves and doing good things?! I could have invited an infinite number of players. I'm sure I would forget someone again," said Qunnlauqsson.
He announced that they will do their best to win against the national teams of Azerbaijan and France: "It is difficult to talk about the necessary victories in world football. But we will put our strength to defeat these two rivals. This does not mean that we must definitely win against them. It is necessary to show a game focused on future perspectives."
The new head coach has played 3 games so far at the helm of the Iceland national team. In the match against Azerbaijan, he will play his first match as head coach at the "Laugardalsvollur" stadium in Reykjavik: "This will be an important moment for me and my family. I first watched a game here in 1977. The arena has changed a lot since then. I can safely say that the stadium is world class. I know that it will be easy to fill the stands in the game against France. But it would be invaluable to have our support in the match against Azerbaijan. Let's just go to the World Cup and try to succeed."
It should be noted that Iceland will face the Azerbaijani national team at home on September 5 and France away on September 9. Both matches will start at 22:45 Baku time.
Idman.biz